Buttered rum? Mulled wine? Hot toddies? You call these holiday drinks? Puleeease. Eggnog puts them all to shame.
Sadly though, eggnog is hardly suitable for the dairy-free drinkers among us, what with the egg and, um, nog. Luckily, the amazing animal advocacy group, Compassion Over Killing, has a mouthwatering recipe for egg-free eggnog that'll impress all your dinner guests.
- 4 cups soy, almond, or coconut milk, vanilla or unflavored
- 6 ounces (half a package) silken tofu, extra firm
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ - ⅓ cup amaretto, Southern Comfort, brandy, or Frangelico
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Soy- or rice-based whipped cream, for garnish
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until creamy. Chill at least half an hour before serving, then enjoy!
And who knows -- get enough eggnog in your carnivorous aunt and you might even be able to convince her to give veganism a try. Christmas is a time for miracles, after all.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahgetshappy.