Nine local chefs and establishments have been recognized for exemplary achievement in the culinary field in four categories.
This year, six of South Florida's best toques have been named semifinalists in the category Best Chef: South. Awards for Best Chef are divided regionally; Best Chef: South encompasses Alabama, Arkansas, Puerto Rico, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
In addition, the James Beard Foundation gives nods to rising stars, beloved pastry chefs, and iconic Miami eateries.
Check out the full list of South Florida semifinalists:
Best Chef: South (AL, AR, Puerto Rico, FL, LA, MS)
- Lindsay Autry - the Regional Kitchen & Public House, West Palm Beach
- Timon Balloo - Balloo Restaurant, Miami
- Michael Beltran - Ariete, Coconut Grove
- Luciana Giangrandi and Alex Meyer - Boia De, Miami
- Niven Patel - Ghee Indian Kitchen, Miami
- Antonio Bachour - Bachour, Coral Gables
- Michael's Genuine Food & Drink, Miami
- Valerie Chang - Itamae, Miami
The judges will whittle down this year's semifinalist list, and the finalists will be announced Wednesday, March 25, in Philadelphia at the Barnes Foundation.
The winners will be announced Monday, May 4, at the annual awards gala and reception at the Lyric Opera of Chicago. For the full list of semifinalists, visit jamesbeard.org.