Roaches. Love em', hate em', eat em'. Or don't, at least not at a North Miami Quiznos location (11850 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami). The restaurant was temporarily closed down on December 4 by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation after inspectors found 12 violations, which they termed "critical." .
Some highlights of the state report:
- 27 DEAD ROACHES BEHIND WASHER AND 3 COMPARTMENT SINK
- 4 DEAD ROACH BEHIND PREP TABLE
- 13 LIVE ROACHES BEHIND WASHER AND DRYER NEXT TO 3 COMPARTMENT SINK
- 1 LIVE ROACH ON WALL ADJACENT TO WALK IN COOLER
- 3 LIVE ROACHES BEHIND MOTION DETECTOR IN KITCHEN AREA
- 1 LIVE ROACH ON FLOOR IN FOOD PREP AREA
- 1 LIVE ROACH IN ONE COMPARTMENT SINK
- 3 LIVE BEHIND PREP TABLE IN FRONT AREA
- No currently certified food service manager on duty with four or more employees engaged in food preparation.
- No proof of required employee training provided. All public food service establishments must provide the division with proof of employee training upon request, including, but not limited to, at the time of any division inspection of the establishment.
Abigail added that the restaurant has an exemplary record. Indeed a July 9, 2008 inspection showed no violations.
Here is a link to the report for the temporary closing, the report that reopened the restaurant, and reports going back to 2006.
-- The Inspector