Now that school's about to let out for the summer, you've got to figure out what to do with the kids. Here's the problem: You want them to do something other than sit around playing Nintendo, but they don't want to be stuck in some FCAT prep course when the sun's out.
Clean Plate Charlie has found a Wonka-like compromise that both parents and kids can agree on -- candy-making classes at the Schakolad Chocolate Factory in Davie.
For the fourth year in a row, these makers of gourmet chocolates will open their doors to kids age 6 to 14 for a series of interactive summer activities. Each session lasts from 45 minutes to one hour and includes the following:
- A brief history of the art of chocolate-making.
- Tasting of white, milk, and dark chocolate.
- Each child will create their own treats and craft their own goodie bag.
are $9.50 per child. To preregister for a session, email
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 954-472-6155. The class schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, June 12, at 3 p.m.
- Thursday, June 21, at 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 27, at 11a.m.
- Tuesday, July 3, at 11 a.m.
- Thursday, July 12, at 3 p.m.
- Monday, July 16, at 5 p.m.
- Friday, July 27, at 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 1, at 3 p.m.
- Thursday, August 9, at 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 14, at 11 a.m.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to New Times Broward-Palm Beach's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling South Florida's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
In addition, the chocolate factory is offering a one-dollar sweet treat special throughout summer. From June 21 to August 31, indulge in a different treat each weekday for only one dollar:
- Monday - 12-ounce latte ($1)
- Tuesday - chocolate-covered pretzel ($1)
- Wednesday - chocolate-covered strawberry ($1)
- Thursday - scoop of ice cream ($1)
- Friday - frozen chocolate-covered banana chunk ($1)