Looking for that sweet final touch to add to the dinner table during the holidays? There is certainly no shortage of great bakeries in South Florida to find that perfect cake, pie, or pastry. In fact, there is such an interesting variety of confectionery shops in Broward County that you might find it difficult to pick a favorite. Local bakeries go far beyond the simple morning cafe au lait and fresh loaves of bread. Instead, they offer unique takes on sweets and international bistro fare.
From holiday offerings to daily cakes, breads, macaroons, and pies, here are the best bakeries to visit in Broward County.
1. Moises Bakery. Venezuelans are not only known for their arepas, they've also managed to take European pastries and make them their own. Moises Bakery has been whipping up sweet and savory goods in Miami Beach for almost 30 years, and their Broward location also offers traditional Venezuelan-style food. Specialties include the asado negro, and the pavillón, with shredded beef, black beans, sweet plantains, scrambled eggs, or white rice. For the holidays, customers can come in for their famed pan de jamón, the traditional Venezuelan ham bread and the pernilhallaca; corn dough stuffed with turkey, raisins, capers, and olives which is folded in plantain leaves, tied with strings, and then boiled. The also bakery offers themed-cakes for special occasions. 115 E Hallandale Beach Blvd.; 954-457-9780; moisesbakery.com.
Courtesy of Joseph's Italian Pastry Shop
2. Joseph's Italian Pastry Shop. Joseph's was established in 2000 but was acquired by Tommy and Christine Garguilo last year. Tommy had been baking customized cakes for children out of his home for a few years and decided to quit his job as an electrician to pursue his culinary passion. He learned and perfected the former owner's Italian recipes, adding an American take to the offerings. Joseph's serves more than two dozen types of homemade cookies and specialties such as the Cassata cake, a sponge cake with cannoli filling and buttercream on the side; and chocolate cake with the cannoli filling. There are also mini pastry cakes, biscotti, pignoli and ameretti sauce cookies, and 20 varieties of mini pastries, along with Oreo cheesecake and fresh Italian white bread and semolina. Custom cake orders are welcome year-round. 788 S. Federal Hwy, Deerfield Beach; 954-571-7747; josephspastryshop.com.
Chocolada's Chocolate Heart Cake
Courtesy of La Chocolada
3. Chocolada Bakery & Cafe. This is the place to go for decadent slices of Eastern European cakes, fruit delights made with baked apples, peach and raspberries, rich chocolate ganache, classic Russian napoleons, and passion fruit, lemon, and coconut mousse. This Romanian-owned bakery sells over 50 types of international pastries, hot coffee, and iced cappuccino, as well as a café menu made up of sandwiches, pasta, and poultry entrées served for lunch and dinner. You'll also find special dishes including the sarmale, roasted ground meats and rice wrapped in cabbage and served with polenta. There's live music at the outdoor patio every night. Holiday offerings touch on offerings from around the globe and are accented by elaborate decorations. 1923 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood; 954-920-6400; hollywoodchocolada.com.
4. Bakery Cafe 2000. For the best accompaniment to a cup of Brazilian coffee, head to this part-bakery, part-café spot in Pompano Beach, where Lilian Amaral serves the best traditional pastries and desserts from her home state, Minas Gerais. Find authentic cheese bread, Brazilian chicken croquettes, and joelho; ham and cheese rolls. The dessert list includes flan, quindão, and the "Two Loves" cake, made with white and dark chocolate. There are multiple TV sets placed around the store for customers to watch soccer matches and Brazilian news. 1051 Sample Rd, Pompano Beach; 954-781-1594.
The adorable hamster bread with sweet bean filling.
Alona Abbady Martinez
5. Paris Morning Bakery. This Korean-French bakery in Davie is more than a one-stop shop for sweet and salty baked goods. You can also find portions of Korean food in a cup called Ziobops. Like the Bulgogi, they're made up of Korean barbecue-style beef with rice and organic greens sprinkled with roasted sesame seeds and garnished with lemon and tomato. The Bingsoo consists of shaved milk chips flavored with condensed milk and various fruits such as mango, strawberries, blueberries, and rice cakes, all topped with ice cream. The delicately designed specialty cake offerings include matcha green tea options with fresh cream topped with a variety of berries and a macaroon. You can also try the Vanilla sponge cake with fresh cream filling topped with sweet potato and macaroons. Pair your goodies with the bubble tea with chewy, black tapioca pearls. 4900 S. University Dr., Davie; 954-234-2838; parismorning.com.
Macaroons at La Bonne Adresse
Photo by Juliana Accioly
6. Le Bonne Adresse. Parisian siblings Emilie and Julien Van Steenwinckel showcase their expertise in French patisserie at this charming Hollywood store. There are handcrafted chocolate marbles, orangettes, truffles, and mediants, and a variety of éclairs and petits chop with fillings such as berries, caramel, tiramisu, lemon and pistachio. Also available are chocolate, lemon, or orange cakes by the slice, madeleines, macaroons, and the cannéles; small French pastries flavored with rum and vanilla bean. Slices of Lorraine, zucchini, and chorizo quiche are served with greens, and tartlets are filled with fruit cream, custard, and chocolate. The shop takes orders for cakes with customized flavors and designs. 2003 Harrison St, Hollywood; 954-927-6458; labonneadresse-hollywood.com.
Courtesy of The Scandinavian Bakery & Coffee House
7. The Scandinavian Bakery & Coffee House. Runar Einarsrud combines his Norwegian family traditions in the food and hospitality industries to create the unique experience of a fine Scandinavian bakery and coffeehouse. This shop serves croissant, omelets, and sandwiches for breakfast and lunch. Popular offerings include Danish pastry options like the crowns with cream, jam, or apple and the Danish cheese and maple pecan plaits. There's also the blackberry cream fans and Norwegian raisin, wheat, and chocolate buns. Fresh loaves of rye bread are baked daily. 2031 Tyler St, Hollywood; 954-362-4366; thescandinavianco.com.
Vegan vanilla doughnuts
Parlour Vegan Bakery
8. Parlour Vegan Bakery. This Plantation bakery makes vegan offerings accessible to all with a medley of offerings served on hip, modern decor. Find delicious cupcakes, cookie sandwiches, brownies, and pop tarts. Vegan sandwiches, like the chimichurri chick'n tender, pizza rolls, and empanadas are also available. The special holiday menu includes red wine pear tarts and options including Dutch apple, bourbon pecan, and pumpkin mac & cheese pies. 1487 S University Dr.; Plantation; (954) 533-7104; parlourvegan.com.
Lemon Meringue Tart at Amarena Bakery & Bistro.
Alona Abbady Martinez
9. Amarena Bakery & Bistro. Amarena is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, serving a blend of Venezuelan and Argentinean baked goods. Specialty desserts include the chocolate and coffee cake, the pavlova, and the Rogel; a thin and crispy dough filled with dulce de leche. Empanadas, savory treats, and mini Philly cheese steaks are also available. Seasonal offerings include pan con jamón, torta negra, and a variety of hallacas. 4613 N. University Dr., Lauderhill; 954-908-1898; amarenabakery.com.