Yesterday, Patricia Montes, one of two girls accused of being involved in a brutal beating and rape of a Hollywood teen, was sentenced to four years in prison and two years' probation after agreeing on a plea deal with prosecutors. Today, her accomplice, Erica Avery, was sent back to jail after it was found that she had violated the conditions of her pretrial release by logging onto the internet. Avery had been out on a $100,000 bond, according to the Sun Sentinel.
It seems that pictures of Avery, 17, surfaced on a social media site in recent days, leading Broward Circuit Judge Lisa Porter to rule that the teen violated her conditions. Avery's lawyer claims it was her sister who posted the photo and says Avery assured him she has not accessed the internet.
It was social media that helped implicate Avery, Montes, and three teen male friends in the savage beating and rape of the victim.
Avery and Montes, along with Dwayne Henry, Lanel Singleton, and Jayvon Woolfork, allegedly had the victim lured to Montes' Hollywood home in November 2013 and beat her and forced the victim to have sex with Woolfork. When the victim refused, the two girls beat her, dragged her by the hair into a bedroom, and ripped her clothes off.
Police say the girls held her down as Woolfork raped her. The victim was eventually kicked out of the house and wandered the streets beaten, barefoot, and dazed. She was later taken to Hollywood Memorial Hospital, where she was treated for broken bones in her face. She also suffered swollen eyes to the point that she couldn't see. She remained in the hospital for several days.
The entire beatdown was captured on a cell-phone video camera. Not long after the assault, Montes took to Facebook and wrote: "You're a hoe. Stop trynna act like a saint," in reference to the victim.
Following her arrest, Avery was told not to have access to the internet or to have contact with the victim. Avery is expected back in court on Thursday, when prosecutors are expected to ask Porter to revoke her bond and keep her in jail until the trial.
Trials for the suspects have yet to be scheduled, but on Monday Montes pleaded no contest to two counts of armed sexual battery and two counts of kidnapping.
Henry, Singleton, and Woolfork are facing capital felony sexual assault and kidnapping charges.
KEEP NEW TIMES BROWARD-PALM BEACH FREE...
Since we started New Times Broward-Palm Beach, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of South Florida, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.