Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks: A Recipe by Geoffrey Zakarian
Last night Geoffrey Zakarian represented New York restaurant The National at The South Beach Wine & Food Festival's Burger Bash. Geoffrey will also appear at the sold out The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Clean Plate Charlie recently interviewed Geoffrey and you can read the interview here and here.
If you can't make it to the The South Beach Wine & Food Festival, bring a little bit of Geoffrey home with you by making his Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks.
Geoffrey Zakarian's Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks
1. 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
2. 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
3. 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
4. 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass (tender inner part only)
5. 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
6. 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
7. 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8. 1 teaspoon kosher salt
9. Six 10-ounce tuna steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick
10. 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
11. Lime wedges and mayonnaise, for serving
1. In a small bowl, combine the white and black sesame seeds with the lime zest, lemongrass, paprika, Aleppo pepper, black pepper and salt. Lightly brush the tuna with oil and sprinkle the sesame mixture all over it, pressing to help the crust adhere.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in each of 2 large nonstick skillets until the oil is almost smoking. Add the crusted tuna steaks and cook them over moderately high heat until they are slightly pink in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the crusted tuna steaks to plates and serve them with lime wedges and mayonnaise.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Delray's Chef vs. Chef Week 12: The Tongues, They Were A-Wagging
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
Thu., Jan. 14, 7:00pm
Tue., Jan. 19, 5:30pm
- Max's Social House Announces Bartenders Participating in "Bar Brawls" Competition
- McDonald's Announces All-Day Breakfast Starting October 6