If you search #veganpizza on Instagram, you may be surprised to find over a half million posts. But it can be difficult to find options in certain cities or regions. Just a few years ago, it was tough to find any vegan pizza in Broward or Palm Beach. But the times they are a-changing, and vegan pizza, from
Almost 65 percent of the population has some form of lactose intolerance, according to a report by the National Institutes of Health. For those who cannot, or choose not to, eat dairy, vegan pizza made with soy or nut cheese offers a popular and tasty alternative.
From barbecue chicken and sausage to ricotta and mozzarella alternatives, New Times has rounded up vegan versions of all your favorites. Here are the top ten vegan pizzas in Broward and Palm Beach.
1. Christopher’s Kitchen. Ditch the guilt and lose yourself in this all-in-one dream come true. Cherry tomatoes, avocado, and red onions are nestled on a bed of arugula then piled onto a heavenly wheat crust that’s been smeared with a slightly sweet red sauce. Creamy, dressing-like cashew cheese, Brazil nut parmesan, basil, and oregano top off this disc of decadence. Or, if you are feeling especially gluttonous, try the mushroom truffle pizza with cremini, shitake, portobello, and white mushrooms; truffle oil; scallions; and macadamia ricotta. If you just can’t do bread today, never fear: Christopher's offers a raw pizza served on a house-made flax cracker topped with red sauce, broccoli, olives, avocado, onions, red pepper, herbs, and cashew cheese. Christopher’s Kitchen not only hand-makes its pizza crusts each day, but all of the creamy, nut-based cheeses are made in-house. 4783 PGA Blvd., Palm Beach Gardens; 561-318-6191; christopherskitchenfl.com.
2. Vannucchi Brothers Pizza. Vegetarian Michael Anthony Reiter opened Vannucci Brothers in 2014 because he was frustrated with the limited vegan options at other Italian pizzerias. Today, Vannucci Brothers
3. Mellow Mushroom. Mellow Mushroom is the honorary grandfather of the vegan pizza movement in Palm Beach. The indoor/outdoor eatery has offered vegan pies for over ten years in a funky environment that plays the best in classic rock music. Top your pizza with time-honored favorites like tofu and tempeh in addition to an impressive selection of fresh veggies. (Try the roasted mushroom trio!) The Veg Out is a classic blend of spinach, green peppers, mushrooms, onions, black olives, red sauce, vegan cheese, and tomatoes. You can substitute for Follow Your Heart vegan cheese, which is gluten-free and non-GMO, on any specialty pizza. Both the wheat and gluten-free crusts are vegan and they offer an array of vegan salads, appetizers, hoagies, and calzones, along with a full bar and happy-hour specials. Pizza boxes, napkins and paper towels are made from 100 percent recycled materials, and everything is printed with environmentally friendly soy ink. 25 SE Sixth Ave., Delray Beach; 561-330-3040; mellowmushroom.com.
4. Pizza Fusion. Not only does Pizza Fusion serve some of the tastiest pizza in South Florida, but it also uses 75 percent organic ingredients and eschews preservatives, nitrates, pesticides, and trans fats. Deliveries are made in hybrid vehicles and the chain uses only recycled, biodegradable boxes and silverware. Vegan pizzas come with your choice of Daiya or Follow Your Heart cheese, a variety of crusts and sauces, and over 15 choices of veggies. Ask for vegan cheese on the Farmers' Market pizza, made with roasted portobello mushrooms, red onions, roasted zucchini, roasted artichokes, and tomato sauce. Pizza Fusion also offers vegan salads, breadsticks, creative appetizers like spinach-artichoke pinwheels, and key lime cheesecake that is so scrumptious even dairy-lovers will be fooled. 2378 Weston Rd., Weston; 954-641-5353; pizzafusion.com.
5. Joe’s Old School Pizza. “Peace, love, and pizza” is the slogan at this New York-style pizzeria. Owner Joe Caristo grew up in Brooklyn, where he learned traditional Italian pizza-making from his mother and grandmother. Caristo has been vegan since 1994, so you can be sure you’re getting the same quality pizza that Caristo himself eats. Hand-tossed doughs, sauces, and fresh garlic rolls are homemade daily at each of Joe’s three locations. Choose from wheat or gluten-free crust, an assortment of veggies like eggplant and pineapple, and Daiya cheese. Try the vegan works, a mouth-watering combination of mushrooms onion, green pepper, pineapple, garlic, spinach, black olives, and vegan cheese. And to complete that authentic Brooklyn experience, end with a homemade vegan Italian ice in flavors like piña colada, lemon, chocolate, and strawberry. You can feel good knowing that Joe’s gives back to the community by donating food to local shelters and hiring people with disabilities. 1090 N. Federal Hwy., Hollywood; 954-922-6161; joesoldschoolpizza.com.
6. Grato. This high-end West Palm Beach hotspot is known for rotisserie and steak, but owner Clay Conley began making vegan pizza when his own children developed severe dairy allergies. You can order vegan cheese on any of its classic, wood-fired pizzas, but its most popular vegan pizza is the Ratatouille, made with roasted tomato sauce, sautéed onions, sautéed garlic, vegan cheese, and basil on a thin crust. It is crowned with roasted cherry tomatoes, slices of summer squash and zucchini, and dollops of eggplant purée made from charred Japanese eggplant and olive oil. It is then sprinkled with red pepper and chili flakes. Or try the mushroom pizza made with roasted mushrooms, char-grilled scallions, and vegan cheese, then finished with black truffle vinaigrette. Non-pizza offerings include the vegan tomato risotto made with cashew cream, Calabrian chilis, green olives, basil, and mint. 1901 S. Dixie Hwy., West Palm Beach; 561-404-1334; gratowpb.com.
7. That Vegan Food Truck. If you like a side of social media with your pizza, chase down That Vegan Food Truck. Brothers Nick and Mike Mitchell roll all over South Florida but spend most of their time in Boca Raton. You can find the truck's schedule on Instagram and Facebook along with a crazy number of food pics from satisfied customers. Nick says the brothers became vegan because they learned things about meat and dairy that “they just couldn’t unlearn,” but they still wanted the same grub they enjoyed before. Enter That Vegan Food Truck, which offers
8. Pizza Craft. Conveniently situated in downtown Fort Lauderdale, Pizza Craft is an easy walk from the Broward Center for the Performing Arts and the bars and clubs along Himmarshee Street and Las Olas Boulevard. You can eat at either the bright, indoor/outdoor family restaurant or next door at the dimly-lit, speakeasy-style cocktail bar Apothecary 330, where you can see and be seen by Fort Lauderdale’s hippest crowds. The wood-fired vegan pie is made from hand-tossed dough and local, seasonal produce. Choose from a variety of toppings like caramelized onions, exotic mushrooms, and Calabrian chilies. Pop in on Wednesday evening for a special $10 vegan pie made with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and torn basil on a light, chewy crust. 330 Himmarshee St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-616-8028; pizzacraftpizzeria.com.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to New Times Broward-Palm Beach's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling South Florida's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
9. Your Pie. Sometimes you just want it fast and hot. Your Pie cooks your personal pizza in five minutes in the brick-oven tradition of the island of Ischia near Naples, Italy. The process creates an earthy, smoky crust. Top it off with red sauce, Daiya vegan cheese, and your choice of 17 veggies at no additional charge. Choose from a unique selection of craft beers and wine, and be sure to save room for nondairy sorbet in flavors like blood orange, lemon, mango, raspberry, and strawberry. 4372 N. State Rd. 7, Coral Springs; 954-341-0180; yourpie.com.
10. MOD Pizza. Imagine all the toppings your heart desires for one flat price. Choose from 22 vegetables, a variety of sauces and drizzles, either wheat or gluten-free crust, and a generous helping of vegan cheese. MOD will cook it up quickly while you enjoy a create-your-own salad, also at one flat price. Come for the pizza, stay for the rock 'n' roll. MOD plays classic hits from bands like the Who, David Bowie, the English Beat, the Cure, the Clash, Elvis Costello and the Rolling Stones. Its people-first philosophy involves hiring employees with special needs and those in need of a second chance. 2702 N. University Dr., Coral Springs; 954-906-5081; modpizza.com.