Doggie Bag: This Week in Charlie
It was a huge week on the blog. Check out what you missed below:
- Chef Patty Canedo gave us another look into the life of a busy chef in her weekly column, Half Baked.
- Our list of 100 Favorite Dishes continued this week with Fort Lauderdale favorite Zona Fresca, Galanga sushi's lobster bomb, and fried chicken from Boca Raton institution, Fran's Chicken Haven.
- Its still cold in South Florida, and here are five soups to keep you warm.
- The peasant-style French food at Le Patio is great with a glass of wine and a seat in the Wilton Manors restaurant's cozy backyard.
- Oh the drama! Chef Mark Militello is gone from The Office in Delray Beach. It doesn't sound like the relationship was bound to last long.
- With the South Beach Wine and Food Festival going strong this week, we brought you a colorful history of the fest complete with all the sordid details.
- After experiencing some awful service lately, Charlie wonders if ageist hiring practices could be to blame for South Florida's widespread service problems.
- Lots of new openings this week: Cabo Flats takes over Rosa Mexicano's old spot in The Gardens, Gratify fills Spoto's hole in West Palm, and Burger Bros. start slinging beef in Palm Beach. And a special welcome to our new blogger, long-time SoFla food writer, Jan Norris!
- Gaming giving you an appetite? Check out these foodie-themed games on Xbox Live.
- Old Brown Dog Ale is our Beer of the Week. Also check out our new Beer of the Week archives.
- Rocco's Tacos in Boca clearly doesn't know how to make a decent taco.
- Food-centric website Yelp is in a heap of trouble over shady advertising practices.
- The Meatist gives us his guide to a great steak burrito.
- New Salvadoran restaurant El Guanaco makes some killer, authentic tortillas.
- With Ralph Pagano gone from Customs House, the Boca eatery changes its name and concept to Chris Michael's Restaurant and Lounge.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.