Tonight! Avett Brothers at Sunset Cove Amphitheater
Kwon, the cellist, shreds away.
Photo by Ian Witlen
This is not much of a heads-up: The Avett Brothers perform tonight at 8 at Sunset Cove Amphitheater. But hey, you're getting more preparation time than I had when I stumbled upon their set at Orlando Calling this year when I found out about them.
I caught them a couple of songs in. Whenever someone looks up and says, "Who the f*** are these guys?" you know you have won her over as a fan. They're country with a hint of punk and a dose of folk. And I am a fan of goth music, not country.
Here are five songs that demonstrate how they managed to win me over:
5. "Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise" from 2009's I and Love and You
Scott and Seth Avett take turns leading songs, and, with the banjo and the guitar and their two voices moving around each other so well, one would think that they had to have lived in the same house growing up -- oh, wait...
4. "November Blue" from 2002's Country Was
Now, the banjo brother!
3. "Murder in the City" from 2008's The Second Gleam
And they write about family well.
2. "Kick Drum Heart" from 2009's I and Love and You
The cellist, Joe Kwon (pictured above), is awesome. He'll break all his strings for you.
1. "I and Love and You" from 2009's I and Love and You
Very slow numbers at festivals are dangerous. The crowd wants to foot-tap all wasted. But this song didn't slow down one festivalgoer's heart, so it was easy for the brothers to pick back up the pace. This song was just the worth-your-time prayer before Thanksgiving dinner. (You'll also notice that they're cute.)
The Avett Brothers. 8 p.m. Friday, February 10, at Sunset Cove Amphitheater, 12551 Glades Road, Boca Raton. Tickets cost $45.25 with fees. Visit ticketmaster.com.
20405 Amphitheater Circle
Boca Raton, Fl 33498
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- The Kids Are Alright: Ten Sons and Daughters of Rock Worth a Second Listen
Sun., Aug. 2, 7:00pm
Fri., Aug. 7, 8:00pm
Fri., Aug. 7, 11:00pm
Sat., Aug. 8, 8:00pm
- Thomas Jack Brings Tropical House (Not Screams and Thumps) to Mad Decent
- "Cold-Hearted Criminal Pricks" Won't Keep Authority Zero Away From Respectable Street