How to Make Vegan Reuben Burgers (Recipe)
I was putting ketchup on some breakfast potatoes the other day when I noticed an intriguing recipe staring at me from the back of the Heinz bottle: Reuben Burgers.
Needless to say, they weren't vegan. Nor were they healthy. Nonetheless, I was inspired to veganize them, and the end result was magically delicious. So delicious, in fact, that I knew I had to share.
Don't judge till you've tasted them. Recipe after the jump.
See also: Six Vegan-Friendly Pumpkin Treats
Above is the original recipe, which serves four. I made a single sammy with some of my fave vegan products. Below is my take on this amazing creation:
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut
- 2 slices of rye bread (toasted)
- 2 slices Creamy Original Field Roast Chao Cheese (or dairy-free cheese of choice)
- 1/3 package Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef (or meatless crumbles of choice)
- 2 TBS Tofutti Sour Cream
- 2 TBS Heinz ketchup
- Heat up the beefless beef in a skillet over medium heat for two or three minutes. Add the Tofutti Sour Cream and the Heinz Ketchup and stir until mixed.
- Remove from heat and spoon mixture over pre-toasted slice of rye bread.
- Top with Chao cheese and allow to melt (you can also pop it in the microwave for a few seconds -- Chao cheese is super melty). Then, spoon sauerkraut on top.
- Top with remaining slice of rye bread. Cut in half. Eat. NOM NOM NOM.
Moral of the story: don't overlook recipes on the back of ketchup bottles. They can yield unexpected treasures.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahgetshappy.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Find out about upcoming events and special offers happening in the South Florida dining scene.